Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Tire City.

There was another frost last night. The grass this morning shone with icy dew. 
Without really meaning to, I did some good work for the garden yesterday. I hiked in two areas. One that I have not been to in many years and one that was very new to me. The first one, was the very new one. We got to it by parking in this apartment parking lot that until a week ago I didn't know was there. Then hiked into the woods climbed a fence, scrambled up and then down the other side of an embankment. Then we entered a tunnel where we balanced on little bolts over running water that travels under a freeway-off-ramp. We came out in a small ravine between the off ramp and the freeway. We were so far down, that I could barely tell there was a freeway not 100 meters away. I was down there with My girlfriend. We found a planter that probably holds 5 gallons in perfect condition and I found a tire. We hauled both of them out, using some team work to get the tire around the tricky ups and downs. I will use this tire as well as all the others I have collected to plant my sweet potato skyscrapers. 
Oh and this was down there too. Weird tropical plant growing under a free-way over pass in early April in Central Ohio. 

After that adventure, I picked up her kids and we went to what I thought would be a more reasonable hiking trail. I have not been down there in years and we got a little off the trail. At one point we found ourselves at what must have been a dump site for a long past farm. There were at least 15 old tires that I could see on the surface, probably more under the leaf litter. Most were too decayed to be any good me and there was a bunch of broken glass. Once I got the kids out of the area. I had them stand at the top where I could still see them but they were out of harms way. I went back in to investigate the tire situation. I found one that was in decent shape and we hauled it back to the car, well I did most of the hauling they gave me moral support. Oh, and we named it Tyler the Tire. 
At the end of the day yesterday, I finally got to get a good look at the sweet potatoes. We were rushing out the door to get my girlfriend to work when I saw them in the morning and I only saw them for a second. I saw two last night with little shoots and several with roots. One had spoiled so I added it to the compost. 
Today, I got a hot tip for a place to get some more tires. I will let you know if I have success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment