Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Holy Michelin man, Batman.

I am really sore. And I need some coffee.
Yesterday, my girlfriend and I followed a tip from the same guy who told us about the freeway-under-pass about a place to find tires. I have hiked out in that area before, but never ventured much off the paths. The first three tires I found were in those woods. However, we found at least 18 or 20 tires and removed 9. There were some that we left were not in great shape and really full of dirt and heavy. There was another group, that we left cause they were in the corner of the local college practice feild and looked like they may be being "used" for something. Though they also clearly had a years worth of growth through them. We also found a piece of re-bar about 6 feet in length, That we used to carry them.
The first bunch that we carried out was by far the worst. There were only four in that load, but they were much heavier. We also hadn't figured that our packs would be getting in the way. Who ever was in front was fighting their own pack the whole way. In addition to that we had to carry them about three times the distance, I would guess about 3/4s of a mile to the car. There were a lot more ups and downs that we had to negotiate with that first load as well. We crossed a stream and were bushwhacking most of the way. Once we put them in the car we left a lot of our stuff to go get the second load. 
Just before we picked up the second load, I heard some dog walkers coming along the trail. We asked them to take our picture with this huge load of tires we're carrying out. They look way lighter than they actually were in this picture. Also we are clearly running on endorphins cause we are way smily. In the end the back seat and trunk of my little honda civic was full of tires. We went back to her place and unloaded all the tires on her back porch. I picked up the kids as she made some omelet for us. 
The second load. We make a good team. 


We took the road less travelled. 

This is what we started with


Tired Theodore in the woods

Pretty woods picture 

After I got home I dumped out the open part of my pack and this was in it.

1 comment: