Monday, April 8, 2013

Project: Dark River. 4-6-2013


After class on Saturday, two of my friends and I drove down as close to the river as we could. The other day when walking down there I had seen a tire. A big tire.
I was carrying a bag with a grappling hook I borrowed from a friend and a shovle. The people on the bike path kept giving the three of us strange looks. I led my friends down the embankment to the small island where the tire was. Once there I knew there was no denying it, I was getting in this river. At that point one of them said "You're either gonna get super powers or cancer." I hooked the grappling hook on it and began wedging it out with the shovel. Passers by on the trail were still staring down at us. Finally, through a combination of leverage, scooping out muck from the inside and pulling on the grappling hook we got it onto dry land. I proped it up and began to roll it. Then we hit our next challenge, the embankment. There was nothing for it, we were just gonna have to muscle it up. There was much grunting and breaking of tree limbs but it made it to the bike bath. From that point on it was pretty easy going. The tire rolled easy enough. We went past a couple of fields where people were playing frisbee. They stared.
Our last challange was the car. Mom if you are still reading here, I love you and please stop. First thing I realized was it was not gonna fit in the back. I thought about calling around and trying to get a truck down there. But I didn't know who to call. We all just stood around staring at our predicament. Then a cute girl walked up to us and told us that we had to put it on the roof. No further discussion was needed. Up it went and I tied it on.  The whole way home I was afraid to go over 30 mph. It was a grulling 10 miles or so. I dropped if off as fast as I could. I needed to get my mothers car back to her in less than 20 minutes at this point. In a panic I looked for a near by drive-through-carwash. There was none to be found. The only carwash in town was the do it your self sort and it was 5 minutes out of the way. So I went home with a muddy car and before I was even in the drive way my Mother was outcoming out to take it. I unloaded my things and as I did that I realized I had forgot my rope. Except it wasn't my rope, it was my friend's who had loaned me the grappling hook. In addition to that it was 100 ft of climbing rope, that I could not afford to replace. My mother was leaving and taking the car in the exact wrong direction.
The only thing I could do was run. So I ran. Just over 1 mile to get down there on foot. I wish I had timed it. The rope was still there, thank god. I got it and walked home.
When I got home I cleaned my tarps (shower curtains) and the wall of my house where I sprayed some mud shaking the tarps out. Then I watered the gardens and weeded my garlic. I would like to do the garlic again tomorrow. If I don't have a car and cant get down to the other garden I will definatly weed more and plant more tomorrow. All in all its been a very good and very long day. I am tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment