Sunday, April 28, 2013

Hunting and Gathering.

I have been bad about posting over the last few days. I have been doing way to much stuff to post consistently. 
Yesterday, I got a little money together to go the the Worthington Farmers Market. I got a bison heart and liver, a cow heart, and 3 dozen eggs for about 54 bucks. I am gonna try to make this last a week. There were no merchants there selling grass fed butter. The people at the information booth told me that this summer they will probably have more people with dary. I am hopeful that one of them will have good butter. Sadly, I didn't have enough money to get any veggies. However, when I was heading home I had the brilliant idea of foraging my greens. 
After the farmers market I went and assisted a practice. Then I came home and had lunch. I cooked four of the new eggs I bought with some pea protein and turmeric mixed in. When I was done I felt amazing. I don't ever want to go back to conventional eggs. I was bouncing off the walls. 
I had a hot tip on some more tires in an area of woods I have never been to so I went on an adventure. I have driven by that section of woods probably a thousand times and never even noticed it was their till my friend told me about it. You take cooper road over the 270 outter belt bridge and take the first right and park in that parking lot. I didn't want to go there during the week cause that lot was full of cars. Then you head across cooper into the woods. Once in the woods there is a huge hill. I would guess a 40 foot vertical change in about 25 feet of horizontal distance. I hiked around for about an hour and found only one tire. I got stabbed with thorns and covered in mud. My feet got wet and I got bloody. At one point I came out on a bike path looking wild eyed and gave some elderly bikers a bit of a shock. I was just about to give up on finding tires when I stumbled across 5 just laying out. Over the next few minutes I found one more and a HUGE tarp. The tarp looked like someone had been living under it but they had long since moved on. It was back in a really thick part of the woods. To get it out I would just grab part and run as fast as I could. It made every tire drag I have ever done worth it. I was worried the whole time I was gonna find a body. I got it to an open area and tried to spread it out. It was too big. I folded it up as best I could and took it to my tires. It took three trips up that ridiculous hill to get this whole load out of the woods. I took my tires to the garden. 
From there I went foraging. I got a bag full of dandolion greens. The whole dandalion is ediable but I am mostly interested in the greens right now. I got another bag full of chives. However, when I made some they were way too tough and fiberous to eat. I think I waited too long into the season for them. 
After that I went to my friends and we spread out this tarp in his back yard and swept it off. Its at least 30 feet across and circular. I think I am gonna try to figure a way to get three for four smaller square tarps out of it. 
All of that together made a tired Theodore. 

Farmers Market Apple, Perfect.


Delicious be-specked egg. 


I just want to drink them like this. 


I told you it was HUGE!

No comments:

Post a Comment