Thursday, March 28, 2013

Worms! and Cold Frames.

It's been a good couple of days. Yesterday, the worms arrived! There was a lot of excitement in the house when the mail lady knocked on the door. We were all watching Superman Returns and shelling radish seeds. There were shells all over the floor. I made everyone clean up and shake the carpet outside before we opened the box. I have never seen three kids clean so fast. Finally, it was time to open up the little wrigglers. I knew that these little guys had just been shipped across country, so they were gonna be stressed. In addition they were about to be manhandled by excited little kids. It was like christmas morning in there. I should know, I was with those kids on christmas. 
WORM!

Ew!

House warming

New pets.

This morning I built my first bed of the year. I used one of the old storm door frames from the house to make a cold frame. It was the first time I ever made a cold frame so I am excited to see how it works out. Normally when I build a bed I do raised beds. 




This time I did the oppsite and dug down. This gave me some more room since the wood I used isn't very tall. I used the excess dirt that I dug out, to fill in any gaps so no cold air can get through. 

Then I used some compost to fill in the bed and placed my sprouters right in there. I will transplant them into the live ground in a day or two once they are used to the outside world. 















My father gave me the tip to put some stakes next to the bed so I can just prop the glass up there when I am working in the bed. Looks professional don't it!


And I finished out the morning with my old dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment