Tuesday, March 26, 2013

What do we want? Dirt!

Good morning!
Today, is day two of my girlfriends kids spring-break. Sadly, she has to work too much to allow for any sort of trip, but I am hanging out with them some to try and make it a fun break anyway. This also lets me be here when our little wigglers arrive. That way, they don't freeze on the door step. Today, I have two objectives for the garden project that I will achieve with the boys.
First, we will de-shell a bunch of radish seed pods I have from last year. I got the seeds that I used to grow them at the local co-op. I just sprinkled them in a bed and they shot up these crazy huge plants. Over time, they took over the whole bed they were in. Even crowded out the squash that was there! The thing is that they were labeled as radish seeds, but I never found any radish bulbs. They were in the sprouting section, so its possible that sprouting radishes and other radishes are not the same. The tops of the plants were all radish though, at least from what I can tell from researching the internet. 
Second, I finally have my drill over here and I want us to build the worm bins. Some of the web sites that talk about the bins, suggest building the bin a full week before putting the worms in. I am not gonna give them that much time at most two or three days depending on when they arrive. We started a compost bin the day we decided to build a worm bin, that was over three weeks ago. So we have lot of stuff to compost. We got 1000 worms which comes out to 2 lbs. They say that these red wrigglers process half their body weight a day. At most, we can get pound a day. Therefore these little guys are gonna have to work over time for a few days. I am picturing a little worm foreman "Look fellas, we got a big shipment, I am gonna need everyone at the plant to pull a double shift." Then they unionize and we'll have a strike on our hands. We'll have to get scab worms! We are gonna have to get a stellar retirement package for them. Sorry, I'm done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment