Friday, March 22, 2013

The things you own...

The things you own
I am trying to take an inventory of the things I have that will help me with my gardening this year. I have two sections of chicken wire fence, I think they are about 50 feet each. The perimeter of the garden space that I have now is 160 feet so I may come up a little short. Fence is really needed down there cause without it deer and rabbits will eat all my crops. I also have about 50 or 100 feet of hose. I hope that that length will reach from the spicket to our gardens and that we are able to leave the hose set up at all times. One of the problems I had last year was that I had to set up and drag around my hose every time I wanted to water. This meant that watering was so much work that in the heat of the summer I stopped bothering. I have a grocery bag of seeds of all sorts. I have started many of the seeds and will start a salad garden next week. I have lots of wood behind my fathers garage. I can use this wood for board walks in my garden, maybe make more boxes for raised beds or to go around cold frames. My father is also letting me use some windows that we pulled out of our house when we replaced them for the Obama tax cuts. I have three tires on my girlfriends back porch one on my parents and I know where two more are in the woods near where I live. These I will use to plant "sweet potato skyscrapers." Also I have friends, I have my girlfriend and her kids, aka free labor. I have other friends who are also into urban and suburban farming. These people can be used as resources for knowledge  information and other stuff. 
The things I will need
There are lots of things I need. I need more fence and fence posts.  I will need more seeds before the season is out. If I try to grow more of my exotic plants I will also need to find ways to propagate those plants. I need to find more tires, be it in the woods like the others I have found or from a tire place. 
Conclusions
Come to think of it this may be all that I need this summer. I have been gardening for a few years now and lots of the stuff can be used time and time again. I am hopeful about this year, I have a lot of what I need and the things I lack I am confident I can find. Let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment