Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Phantom Queen

So the good news is I have a laying queen. The bad news is I have no evidence of my laying queen other than my own memory. 
Today, I got back into my hive to check on the progression of the two queen cells I installed last wednesday. According to how far along they were they should have been emerging today or tomorrow. However, they were both open and empty and in addition to that there was uncapped larva all over. These two facts mean that the queen cell that came with the bees that I have now must have been successful and I just missed her last week when looking. After some searching I found the queen, but when I went to get my phone to photograph her a worker started buzzing around my head and I had to step away. When I was finally able to return with my phone I couldn't find her again. 
Let me tell you she was beautiful though. I saw larva of all sizes which was really cool. When I looked down into the cells they were all curled up and some were no bigger than a grain of rice but some were almost bee sized. I took lots of pictures but sadly due to the sun they all look terrible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment