Friday, June 7, 2013

Name My Queen!

I opened up my bee's again today. I wanted to figure out a way to put a plank under this top bar hive to keep them a little warmer. When I did that though it got really wobbly, so its still just on the bricks. I also moved all the top bars down to the far end of the box and took out the divider.  I think the main problem this hive is having is that most of the bees that are in there are getting kinda old. Worker bees only live about two months. If a queen takes 16 days to develop and another 7 to 10 days to go and get mated then her eggs take 21 days to develop and emerge as worker bees. The bees running that hive are about 3/4s of the way through their lives by the time the new bees are ready to take up their role. 



Here she is though. 


The Queen 


I think on facebook I will have a naming competition. 








This is a bee on her way out. She was so old her wings were torn. But she was still working hard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment