Thursday, May 16, 2013

Thoughts on Sweet Potatoes.

I planted my sweet potatoes!  According to most sources sweet potatoes take between 100 and 110 days to be ready for harvest. That means that they may be ready as early as august 24th. Most places I can find on the internet say that the first frost in the fall will be in the first week of October. That gives me a window of a month. A four tire stack they say will yield about 25 pounds of potatoes. I haven't found to many other people growing sweet potatoes in tires. I think it can work, but I don't know if the results will be at all similar. If however, the results are similar that would be about 250 pounds of sweet  potato. I estimate I can eat about a pound of sweet potato a day so I will still fall short with these yields. This is all theoretical until my fall harvest
Last year I got a bunch of little tiny sweet potatoes. I didn't get them in the ground till about a month after today last year. In the heat of the summer I go really lazy about watering them as well. This year I got them in right on time. I think I will keep some extra shoot going at home. In the unlikely event of a late hard frost I will be prepared. I also want to find some ways to make watering more easy. I think I will take the busted hose that I have down there and make it into a soaker/irrigation system. I will do this by adding a bunch of new holes and laying it directly into the tire towers at about the second story. I am hopeful that the harvest this year will be larger than last year. Both in total volume and in size if individual potatoes. 
110 ten days from today I will rip down one of my sweet potato sky scrappers and see what happened in it. Depending on the result in that tire I will know what to do with the other tires.

No comments:

Post a Comment