Sunday, May 26, 2013

The New Suburban Paleo Beekeeper.

Its been a while since my last post. In that time I have been working on lots of things. The biggest news I have is that I have bees! The friend who I have been helping with his bee, I will call him Mr. S, and I went back to his bee yard on friday. It was cold and windy out. We were going to check on the progress of his new hives and to try and find the two queens we didn't see last time. The first hive we opened I spotted the queen almost immediately. It was the first time I found the queen before the more seasoned bee keepers with me. In the second hive we checked on there were eggs. Even though we didn't see the queen directly, the presents of eggs evidence enough that she was there. At this point Mr. S told me that he had brought some frames with brood and even a queen cell incase we found nothing. Since those frames weren't needed at this bee yard, I could have them!
We drove them over to my house and put them in the spot where they will be living now. I realized once at my house that my top bar needs some work before it will be ready. For now the bees are going to live in their nuc box until the top bar is ready for them. I am so grateful for my good fortune. I will have pics up soon of my girls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment