Sunday, September 22, 2013

Deep Freezer! Bee Keeper!

I have know for a few weeks that for my birthday I wanted to get money so that I could put it towards a deep freeze. Having a freezer, that I could store a good deal of meat in, could save me a lot of money every year. I looked up deep freezes online, the ones that suited my purposes were about $230. The money I got for my birthday and some extra I had from dog sitting totaled $340 (it was a good year). On Friday, I went pricing deep freezes with Moe and Colin. Dispite Colin's protests hardwears stores are just toy stores for adults. I went to "home depot" and "aplliance mart" that both had units simular to what I had seen online and simular prices. However, at "Lowes" they had almost the exact same unit for $179 even with the 3 year wanrty and taxes it was still $224. I am very happy with my purchas.
I spent the rest of the day Friday and most of Saturday preparing my house for the deep freeze.
My house was built in 1895 and no where is that more apparent than the basement. There are cobwebs down there dating back to the houses construction. Moe and I removed two paper grocery bags worth of dust from the crumbling walls. I could spend another 2 weeks down there cleaning and it would still be a mess, ( I may just do that). That said it does look infinitely better. There is a large hatch in the floor of our back porch with steps that lead to a door in the basement under it. My family and I have never had the hatch open since moving into this house almost 15 years ago. Moe and I got it open and cleaned it out too.
The Freezer was delivered this morning and the workmen took it down that back way. It is now in place in the basement and just needs some palates to stand on and an extension cord to reach the nearest outlet. I just had a really cool moment where I noticed that this dream I have had for a while, owning a deep freeze, is a reality. It was very simple to make that happen too. Now I can keep 7 cubic feet worth of meat. I don't even know that is, but its exciting!
My other big birthday present was a beekeepers hat, gloves, and when it comes into the store, jacket. About half an hour ago I used them to get into one of my hives and put a sugar water feeder on them. I need to do the other one soon but I ran out of sugar.

1 comment:

  1. If you just need regular sugar I think I have a bit you can have because neither of us use sugar anymore. I need to clean out my cabinets again. It's amazing how much stuff you don't need to bother with keeping around when you switch to a paleo diet.I'll be excited to find out what you put in that freezer!

    ReplyDelete