Friday, August 30, 2013

Down on the Farm

If you follow my facebook page you saw that yesterday I spent most of my day at Flying J Farm. I arrived about 9:15 in the morning after a beautiful drive through the Ohio farm lands. When I got there I was shown by the owner back to the horse barn to see the two horses and the donkey getting their mani pedi. The guy doing hoof work does that for a living. Traveling form farm to farm with a huge set of nail clippers and a file that would not have looked out of place in shop class. I should have asked if he did gels. As this was going on there were chickens coming in and out to see what everyone was gathering around the horses for. The chickens are able to just roam the farm freely during the day and then put up at night. As I watched them I couldn't help but think "little dinosaurs."
I then spent most of my day turning over some beds in a large green house. This green house was fantastic. It was about 20 feet wide and 100 feet long. Tons of tomatoes, kale, broccoli, cilantro. Oh, and crazy huge spiders, living in this greenhouse. I thought the spiders at my house were big. They guys were more than an inch in length, not including legs. The spiders abdomen were yellow and black. Just after I spotted the first one it jumped to grab a fly that had just gotten caught in its web.
 To turn over the beds we slashed all the existing plants down. Then we added a layer of sticks, then a layer of grass clippings and finally card board. It was hot and hard and my grass allergies made it miserable. However, the day was was also lots of fun there were kittens and chickens running around my feet the whole time. The people who I was working with were very interesting. I learned a lot and I hope to go back very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment