Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Ranting about Training

Today, I temped at a wear-house on the southwest side of Columbus. When on my way in I was listening to the latest episode of "The Paleo Solution Podcast." The guest was Jim Laird. He talked extensively about people that come into his gym that are just broken from having spent years moving poorly. When I got there I spent 8 hours around people moving heavy things that were not trained to do so properly. I saw more rounded back deadlifts that I could count. Everyone working there over age 30 was over weight and walking with a limp. I am not claiming that every time I picked up a box I was using perfect form. However, proper movement patterns are something that we should be teaching in elementary school. 
I remember gym class in elementary school. It was fun then but in retrospect it was terrible. We did nothing but play games. A noble thing for any grade schooler, but that is what recess is for. In middle school things improved a little. Gym class was actually treated like a class. We were expected to learn skills and be tested at the end. However, the two skills I still remember learning were 60s and 70s dancing and volleyball. Those skills will only become useful to me if I get a time machine. In highschool I managed to sort of oped out of traditional gym by taking "summer gym." I remember one of those classes made us walk for extended periods of time and use weight machines. Thats better than nothing, but the rest of the time we mostly played kick ball. One day we even watched "Space Jam" to learn about basketball. 
In high-school I also ran cross country. I have lots of issues about that as a thing for young people. Compared to the other sports I could have played in highschool it was probably one of the better. However, still there was never once a discussion about proper running form. I remember once talking to my coach about it. He pointed out to me that one of our best runners always looked like he was trying to touch his ear to his shoulder when he ran; Therefore, everyone has their own way. Terrible. 
We humans are given a very complex device, our bodies. However, the software needed to run that device is questionable. Squat down, hip hinge, carry something heavy, get down on the ground and get back up, these are all things we should be able to do long before we are told to play kick ball or 60s dancing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment