Friday, July 12, 2013

Doctor's Waiting Room

I am at the doctor office. I am in the waiting room. I hate being here cause there is a television that plays utter nonsense. They just aired a story about the wonders of lap band surge. Before that they told me how to make a better chicken salad with "light" canola oil mayonnaise. All these stories are interspersed with ads for prescription drugs. These commercials spend more time on the side effects then any other part of the commercial.
I understand people's fear of stepping into a paleo life style after going to doctors like this their whole lives. I used to think of my doctors as some kind of oracle dispersing the truth about my body and health from above. I now think of my doctor as a technician of sorts. I am sure if I had options to go around my insurance I could find other people more in line with my ideals. I am grateful to have the good insurance that I do, but it severely limits me in what I can do. If people who think and live like myself, I assume my readers do, we must be extra proactive about our health. 
We must search out the conditions we have, test we need to confirm them and the treatment we need independently. Then use our doctors to run the tests in hopes that they are the sort that will share all the data with you. After hearing their take on what the data means we have to use our own knowledge and research to find out what actions (if any) need to be taken. In this age with out ample access to masses of information we must learn to think critically about the world around and more importantly with in us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment