Friday, February 21, 2014

Sharing Food with Friends.

Last night, I served my first 1/2 hog-barbecue-meal to some friends. We had pulled pork, the most succulent thick cut bacon, collard greens and I served up some baked beans for my non-paleo crowd. I am so happy with how it all turned out. The pulled pork was tender and fatty. Moe searched the grocery store for me to find barbecue sauce that was both gluten free and had no corn syrup, Not an easy task, not only did she find it but it was delicious ta boot. The bacon was almost a 1/4 inch thick before I cooked it. The flavor after it was cooked was meaty and rich. With bacon I use to buy the sensation was more of bacon chips. the final product was either rubbery and chewy or crunch and crumbled in your mouth. This bacon was so meaty that it had crunch on the out side and still gave you some meat to chew on after that. I also have about one cup of bacon grease from it!
I think that after I have made more of this bacon I want to try and make bacon grease soap. A friend of mine once made soap that way. It was some of the best soap I have ever used. I have sensitive skin and its not easy to find a soap that won't irritate my skin or dry me out. In a few weeks in my organic chem class we are going to be making soap. I will be paying close attention.
Lastly, I have never tried to make collard greens. I just used the recipe on the back of the bag, minus the excessive sugar, and substituting most of the chicken broth for liquid from the pulled pork, the greens were fantastic. I still have 80+ pounds from my 1/2 hog in my freezer. It is going to be a great couple of months!

No comments:

Post a Comment