Monday, February 24, 2014

5 Things You Can Start working On Now to Become a More Sustainable Paleo Farmer.

1. Start sprouting. Click here to find a wonderful site to buy all you will ever need to sprout. Sprouts are cheap, easy and provide fresh greens all year round. They are typically more nutrient dense than their full grown counter parts, per gram. They pack a lot of flavor punch into a little space.  [G]rowing even a little of your own food is, [...] actually beget other solutions[.] -Michael Pollen
2. Find local farmers markets, and visit them. This link will connect you to local farmers markets. Some of the outdoor markets close in the winter. In Columbus we have one indoor market, but I haven't been all year. Its a tragedy and I want to fix it. Even when I don't get food, meeting with and talking to the farmers is a wonderful way to spend a Saturday. The ideas exchanged and the passion shared is second to none.
3. Start your spring sprouts for your garden. I know when its only 26 degrees out, -3 C, and a whole 22 days until spring its not easy to think about the fall crop. But it's time to start! On my list to get started are, sweet potatoes, broccoli, lots of salad greens, butternut squash again, and lots of flowers.
4. Buy a crock pot! If you have a crock pot, use it. If you already use it, use it more! There is one thing that kills me. It's when I get home from a long night of work and I am dog (wolf) tired. On top of all that the easiest thing to eat is a bag of chips. Given there are pretty good chips at my house that are still "mostly" paleo. However, if I plan for this when I am less tired and have time, I can come home to a huge pot of delicious roast meats. I have a crock pot that is almost never empty. It saves my life.
5. Learn to ferment. I know it sounds daunting at first. Its a whole series of skills that are all very involved. First try googling brewers shops. Then go there and talk to the people. The people who are working there love brewing enough to work in a brewers shop. This means they know their stuff and are willing to talk endlessly about it.  I have made some meads now. They are super easy and require three ingredient, honey, yeast and water. Worst comes to worst you end up with vinegar which is also very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment