Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Sprouts, Tubers and Honey Wine

Two days ago I received my new shipment of sprouts in the mail. I ordered through sproutpeople.org. I got four kinds of seeds, organic broccoli, red kale, mustard and clover. I was able to take advantage of the free shipping as well. I estimate that with the amount of sprouts I received I will be able to sprout consistently and eat a health amount of greens for about three months.
Also in the last week I started eating some of the sweet potatoes I grew this summer. After harvesting and curing the sweet potatoes they are supposed to be stored for a time. Weeks to months, this allows the sugars to break down and the sweet potato becomes more digestible. It also makes them more sweet, and let me tell you they are sweet. I have been making them into hash browns. I know now that I am going to be growing sweet potatoes for a long time. 
The other thing I started this week was a new batch of mead. After drinking some of the mead I made this summer I am really excited to make more. I have also had an opportunity to try brothers drake Wild Ohio mead. I love mead. I am interested in trying several mead experiments in the next several months. The one I just started I used a 100% cranberry juice with 2 lbs of honey and champagne yeast.
I will keep you all updated on my winter projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment