Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Pinching Paleo Pennies.

I have been barely scrapping by for the past several months. I am saving a lot of money to get back into school. That means I don't have much left over to spend on food. In a month when I start school I will be working even less than I am now. I did some "back of the napkin calculations" and figured out that I spend about $315 a month. That is also about all the money I can spend on food. Over the next several weeks I am gonna try several things to bring that number down as much as I can. These changes will include things like using the internet to get more of supplements for cheaper and working on fasting more.
I have been buying most of my supplements at a local health food store. I like shopping there cause it's a small local business. However, the supplements I get are 20-50% more money there than on the internet. Thus far I have not made the switch cause its just easier to pick these things up when I am at the store. Now I have to make the switch. Hopefully if I am getting enough from one place I can get a good deal with shipping.
The second tactic will be to improve my intermittent fasting. I currently do a version of IF called bulletproof IF. This is where you drink bullet proof coffee and do not consume anything until the late afternoon. I have been wanting to do true IF for months because of the effects it has on mitochondria function. Mostly, by giving you mitochondria a break form constantly taking I'm more and more energy you can allow them to do a sort of house cleaning. My goal is to build up and do two 24 hour fasts every week. I expect that doing this will cause me to eat about 10% more on the feed days. That will make me come out to consuming about 78% of what I currently eat. Or roughly 16,380 calories a week.
There will be other adjustments like buying more things in bulk. However that will have to wait until I am able to save some money from these first tactic.  Also, I am trying to keep up with the sprouting again. The trouble with sprouting is that it takes daily care to keep the plants going. They care needed for them is not much but if you miss a day your kitchen smells like rotten lettuce.
I will do my best to keep updating how this is progressing. I want to find cheap solutions for Paleo lifestyle as much as the next guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment