Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Buying a 1/4 of beef!

Part 1
I think I have at least most of the money I will need to purchase a 1/4 grass fed cow. I now only need to find butcher and farmers. I don't know how to do that. I have googled butcher shops and found some. I have also talked with a woman I work with who recommended one. Since that recommendation though I have heard some stuff about that place I don't like. Mostly that some hunters have reported not getting their deer back. One of my goals with finding a butcher is to find some one who I can go to and trust when I tackle hunting. I want to use this experience to build the beginning of that relationship.
I have put out a call to other Columbus Paleo people through the Facebook page "Meetup: Paleo Living Columbus. I hope by the end of the day I can talk to some one who has actually bought a 1/4 or more. At the moment I am getting a lot of suggestions about Butcher shops, but it does not seem that many people have tried to get this much at one time.
Part 2
Wow, I just got a response to my post about "Fox Hollow Farms." This is looking like the place. I don't seem to need to do the extra work of finding a butcher myself. I will need to learn what I want to tell the butcher when the time comes. However, according to the FHF website the butcher can help me thought that process too. It looks like total cost will be about $500 and I will get about 90 lbs of meat. This is more money and less meat than I was expecting. It's still by far the best way to get this deal. I buy heart and tong for $4 a pound, but those are limited supply and very heard to deal with. When I am done butchering them and have them in an edible state I have about 1/2 of what I stated with. That means they are actually $8 per pound, plus and hour of work. This is gonna be awesome, its just gonna be more money than I was expecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment