Saturday, October 5, 2013

Just call me "Theo Hood"

Last Tuesday I met with an old professor from one of my schools. I heard on good authority that he could tell me a thing or two about hunting. It was a very informative meeting. This guy grew up hunting. He had hunted just about everything there is to hunt in this state, except wild boar. Before the meeting I didn't even know what questions I had to ask. After the meeting I now have a plan of action. Sort of.
I have signed up for The Ohio Devision of Wildlife Hunter and Trapper Education Course. The class is  on a Saturday at the end of the month. In the mean time I am reading a booklet of the hunting laws and regulations from last year. I expect that the dates will have changed, but the rest will be the same.
During the conversation with that professor I realized that I am only interested in bow hunting. First, bow season in this state is much longer than gun season. Since there is so little time for the gun hunt the public spaces can become a war zone. I don't want to mess with that. Also, Robbin Hood is a boss. I went to the closest Cabelas and priced bows. There are three main types of bows avaliable there. Most of the bows they carried were compound bows. These have pullies that increase the force of the arrow. They also had recurve and long bows as well. They are off to one side sort of in a corner. I need to do more reasearch before I can make a decision.
I have also been talking with a butcher about bulk meat. I am hoping to be able to get a quarter or half cow soon. I will keep you updated on that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment